Raspberry Pi and devices

I want to build a small smart home automation with RPI for my flowers, because I travel very often, but I don´t like the design of inteligent flower pots. I have 3 different types of flowers in 6 flowerpots, some of them have to be watered in the soil, some of them just in the small plate under the pot. I tried to do it in very easy way - put all pots around a bottle of water with 6 ropes, but it doesn´t solve my problem and it doesn´t work good. So I want to build something similar, but with some controlled watering with tubes, when some measurement device in the soil notify me that my flowers needs to drink! How is it possible with D2000? Where I have to start? What devices will I need and how much will I spend? Thanks for your help!

Hi @VDubovcova I was drawn in to D2000 for a similar interest but working towards a Raspberry Pi Zero power monitor (current transformers feeding into MCP3008 A-D chip). Still very new to Raspberry Pi and D2000 so I’m expecting progress to be slow but will let you know how I go.

Hi @Kanrak, nice to hear that you have similar interest, let me know, how is it going with your project. It would be great if you could give me any instructions how to do it. Thanks and wish you good luck!

Well things have progressed. Using the image and procedure ‘How I started up D2000 on a Raspberry PI’ things are working as oer blog which is nice for a first timer like me.
When I say first time, I mean first time following instructions. I could not get it working on a Raspberry Pi Zero but when moved the SD card back to a RPI 3 it all worked nicely (on Ethernet and also have working on WiFi).
Next is to get the development environment working to be able to customize the project, then Analog to Digital, then get A-D into D2000.

It is great progress in your work @Kanrak, I think that D2000 RPI works very good with Raspberry Pi 1, 2, 3, unfortunatelly not with Zero. Have you made the next step yet? Were you successful?

I have set up a breadboard with a MCP3008 chip all wired up but still working through steps to get that working with Python. There is also a side project of getting Minecraft-pi working on it as well. Generally lots of progress in understanding the Pi but no direct results towards A-D into D2000 yet (just the desktop development environment connecting to the Pi server which involved changing the shortcuts to specify server path). Still working on the rest.
I have not even looked at how well D2000 handles automation / event driven tasks. Normally I work with large scale Industrial PLCs and SCADA systems so this is all a big twist on my normal way of thinking - which is good.

Things still moving painfully slow, not because of issues but because of lack of time to devote to the project. At the moment done away with the MCP3008 which was working as far as the RPI was concerned but did not get the data into D2000. In stead I am playing with an ESP32 as the remote IO. Plan to get the ESP32 to run as a Modbus TCP Server and RPI - D2000 act as Modbus TCP client which I am hoping will be straight forward. This way I can have simplified distributed IO which will help with my plan for home automation and information gathering. The ESP32 is Arduino based with analog inputs, bluetooth, wifi in and the model I am testing also has a small OLED built in. All that for under $10 so more willing to loose one of those to incorrect wiring than the RPI which I will keep as simple as possible.

Hi @Kanrak, as I know, D2000 is used for large systems, industrial PLCs and industrial automation (there is a list of companies, which are using D2000: https://www.ipesoft.com/en/d2000/updates/references). I was going through the documentation and I think, that your way of thinking and building is right - D2000 can act as a Modbus TCP client (https://doc.ipesoft.com/display/D2DOCV12EN/MODBUS+Server). It should be a quite different to build SCADA “in small version”, but I hope, that your project will be working correctly. But instead of lack of your time, you did a good progress. Good job!